Clinkers in India

Clinkers in India
© Sue Clinker - photo taken on our visit to Jaipur 2014

Saturday 20 February 2016

Mysore Vegetable Market


After our morning touring the City Palace, Temple and the statue of Nandi we convinced our Guide that we really did not want to go to a silk & sandalwood outlet.   We know that Mysore is a major producer of these items but couldn't face persuasive salesmen - no matter that our Guide could highly recommend them and the shop sells only genuine, high quality articles .....

So he delivered us to a hotel and suggested we took some lunch.   We really only wanted a light snack and the restaurant was a little grand so we ordered the lightest meal we thought we could get away with.   Actually it was delicious but we really couldn't do it justice, having had breakfast at our own hotel (a meal we never have at home).   Anyway, we had a bit of time to kill so had a wander round the streets nearby (with every passing Tuk-tuk stopping to offer assistance and bargain travel) until our driver and Guide returned.

I'm slowly amassing a file of 'character' photos which I hope will inspire me to get back to my drawing board when home again.

We then visited what our Guide described as a vegetable market ... it was one of the largest markets I've seen of its kind and was jam packed full of stalls selling fruit, vegetables, flowers (mostly marigolds and dried roses), spices, oils and dyes ... and it was vibrant with colour and noise.   He accompanied us briefly, explaining what some of the products were when we couldn't identify them, then he left us to our own devices for 30 minutes so we could just wander at leisure and take yet more photos ...

A real assault on all the senses ... what we love most about India.


As it is very time consuming selecting and downsizing photos for Blogger, I've just picked a selection from this afternoon and ran them through a resizing programme.   So, no descriptions here, just a lot of pics to look at.

Tomorrow we are being driven to Sultans Battery which is approx 130kms away.   We're heading for the hills and crossing the border in to Kerala where we'll stay for a couple of nights at 'Tranquil Hideaway' which is a plantation where we plan to do lots of walking with the 4 dogs belonging to the owners.    We're staying in a treehouse, apparently with luxury facilities 'en branch'.  (Are you there DiDi?  Remember Blackadder's first floor facilities??)  There is no WiFi  there so I won't be posting for a couple of days at least.  But you'll probably be relieved to hear that).


























6 comments:

  1. The market is amazing, so colourful. I can just imagine how it felt being there. So you will have to "**** out of the window" then? Haha xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what happened to my previous post! I'll try again. These scenes are amazing, the colours are so vibrant. And yes I'm guessing "you **** out of the window" heehee xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Di. Comments have to be approved by me before being published (to stop spammers) and as I didnt have internet for a couple of days I couldn't approve yours till today ... sorry! Internet is very slow at this hotel but at least I've caught up a bit. Cheers. Suex

    PS Hope the weather has improved for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weather lovely here although no where near as hot as where you are. My light-weights have retreated for an afternoon siesta so I'm hungry and bored. We have a Neil Diamond tribute act tonight so will be careful NOT to eat ant pickled onions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wonderful posts about Mysore are bringing back lots of memories for me I spent past four summers in Mysore taking care of my mother-in-law. All these are such familiar haunts and I too have hundreds of photos hope to turn some into sketches or paintings :) I had been keeping a sketch journals there every visit. Hope you will find time to peek into my blog and check them out ! wishing you safe, healthy and fun times in India!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meera. Thanks for commenting - I really loved Mysore.
    I will catch up with your Blog when I'm back in the UK as I'm very interested to see your sketches but we have limited internet access (and just one small travel computer between us whilst here in India). We're in Kochi for a couple of days and its very hot here! Sue

    ReplyDelete